Petronas' SISGES project officially kicks off
Petronas' Sarawak Integrated Sour Gas Evacuation System (SISGES) project officially kicked off with the groundbreaking ceremony for the first phase of development of its onshore gas plant in Bintulu, Malaysia, Petronas announced on September 21.
The SISGES project is a two-phase development that will monetise more than 10 trillion ft3 of gas discoveries with high contaminants, off the coast of Sarawak. The first phase will involve the development of the Rosmari & Marjoram (R&M) gas fields in Block SK318 and the construction of an onshore gas plant (OGP-1). Both OGP-1 and the R&M fields are operated by Sarawak Shell with 80% participating interest with Petronas Carigali holding the remaining 20%.
The second phase of the SISGES project will involve the development of the giant Lang Lebah field and the construction of a second onshore gas plant (OGP-2). The project is currently undergoing a final review process, leading up to the forthcoming investment decision in 2024.
Both phases are sited in the Petchem Industrial Park in Tanjung Kidurong. At full capacity, the scheme will supply about a third of Sarawak’s gas demand, Petronas said.
To optimise synergy between the two OGPs, the onshore development incorporates common facilities to be shared which will result in efficient development and operating costs.