Danish Topsoe to equip Canadian hydrogen project
Denmark’s Haldor Topsoe said July 22 its SynCOR™ carbon capture technology had been selected by Air Products for its recently-announced blue hydrogen complex near Edmonton, Alberta.
The C$1.3bn (US$1.08bn) plant, expected to be operational in 2024, will use the SynCOR™ autothermal reforming (ATR) technology to capture 95% of the CO2 produced from natural gas – about 3mn mt/yr – which will then be sequestered in an underground sandstone formation. Some of the hydrogen produced using ATR will be used to generate power for the plant, offsetting the remaining 5% of produced CO2; the rest will be delivered through an existing Air Products pipeline to nearby refining and petrochemical customers or converted to liquid form for merchant sales and as a clean fuel in the transportation sector.
“We are very proud of our collaboration with Air Products, and that our SynCOR™ technology plays a central part in their landmark net-zero hydrogen project,” Topsoe CCO Amy Hebert said. “This is not only proof of our ability to deliver efficient hydrogen solutions, it also bears testament to our ability to achieve our vision of being recognised as the world leader in carbon emission reduction technologies by 2024.”